Arrange the following sentences to form a coherent paragraph:
- The process of handing down implies not a passive transfer, but some contestation in defining what exactly is to be handed down.
- Wherever Western scholars have worked on the Indian past, the selection is even more apparent and the inventing of a tradition much more recognizable.
- Every generation selects what it requires from the past and makes its innovations, some more than others.
- It is now a truism to say that traditions are not handed down unchanged, but are invented.
- Just as life has death as its opposite, so is tradition by default the opposite of innovation.