The sentences given in each question, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Each sentence is labelled with a letter. Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the four given choices to construct a coherent paragraph.
- If caught in the act, they were punished, not for the crime, but for allowing themselves to be caught another lash of the whip.
- The bellicose Spartans sacrificed all the finer things in life for military expertise.
- Those fortunate enough to survive babyhood were taken away from their mothers at the age of seven to undergo rigorous military training.
- This consisted mainly of beatings and deprivations of all kinds like going around barefoot in winter, and worse, starvation so that they would be forced to steal food to survive.
- Male children were examined at birth by the city council and those deemed too weak to become soldiers were left to die of exposure.