The sentences given below, when properly sequenced, form a coherent paragraph. Each sentence is labeled with a letter. Choose the most logical order of sentences from among the given choices to construct a coherent paragraph.
- This fact was established in the $1730$s by French survey expeditions to Equator near the Equator and Lapland in the Arctic, which found that around the middle of the earth the arc was about a kilometer shorter.
- One of the unsettled scientific questions in the late 18th century was the exact nature of the shape of the earth.
- The length of the one-degree arc would be less near the equatorial latitudes than the poles.
- One way of doing that is to determine the length of the arc along a chosen longitude or meridian at one degree latitude separation.
- While it was generally known that the earth was not a sphere but an ‘oblate spheroid’ more curved at the equator and flatter at the poles, the question of ‘how much more’ was yet to be established.